Sunday, December 10, 2006

Nothing wrong with feeling comforted

I've been thinking about what to teach my son about Xmas. Do I teach him my beliefs? or the beliefs that 90% of his fellow Americans believe? Or do I teach him nothing, and let him eventually find his own beliefs? His Daddy doesn't want to lie to him about Santa, so thats out.
I was flipping thru the channels on the car stereo and Xmas music came on. I left it and sang along and sang to my son and had a good time. I was thinking about my childhood holidays and what the whole thing means and I came to at least one realization: That regardless of what I believe...the whole story behind Christmas is a very comforting one. Hell, the whole story behind Christianity is very comforting. In short, there was an amazing man who loved a young woman and helped her on a journey. Then a baby boy was born. Who doesn't love baby boys? The boy was here to save everyone! Thats good news. He grew into a teacher so everyone could be on the same page. Then very dramatically he was murdered but somehow that was OK because then everyone for the next million years could be 'saved'. (from what?) yes, yes, I'm skeptical and cynical, but its a very comforting story. This mans murder was OK because now no one would have to go to hell if they only worshipped this man their whole lives. And this man, even though he was dead would help everyone whenever they needed it! So everyone could go to heaven and live happily ever after.
See? It is a very comforting story, I felt very comforted while singing Christmas songs yesterday and thinking about the holiday.
However, I don't believe in hell, so I don't live my life scared that everytime I say "Shit",or drink pepsi, or loved a man, or just be plain me, I was one step closer to it.
I'm not putting down Christianity. Like I said, I believe strongly that to each his own, plus the fact that I would really hate it if everyone was the same. Truly.
I'm just recounting the story as I was taught it. I think that if I believed that there was a man that could save me from going thru hell or going to 'hell', then I would want to get on his good side and do everything he told me to do...in fact, I have been that person before. But I don't think theres a hell or that I'm going to it, or that theres a man that could save me from it.
I live scared way too much and I work on it daily, but luckily this is not one thing I am scared of..whew!
Back to my point, my son...of course we are going to have a wonderful holiday. His daddy doesn't have to work, we will light a fire, look at lights, eat good food, watch movies, open presents, perhaps have a snowball fight or two and just be a family together. I think this is what I will focus on until he gets a little older and we teach him the dozens of different beliefs people have about this holiday and let him chose which one fits his beliefs best. My parents pushed religion on me (because its what they were taught was the 'right' thing to do), and now out of the 6 of us only 1 still goes to church...well, that church...another 1 of us goes to another church. So, I'm afraid that if my husband and I (whose beliefs are a tad different) push our beliefs/religion on our son, that he will rebel as well, or whatever you want to call it, and have a hard time figuring out what he truly believes like his Mama.

No comments: